MOTUS Docs and Staff


Sometimes we forget to thank the doctor and his staff for all the support they give people as they endure surgeries and the healing process.

For three years I suffered from joint pain on my right hip. A visit to a general orthopedic surgeon showed that I had considerable wear on my hip joint. I was given the advice that since I was relatively young, given the average age of most patients receiving this procedure, that I should wait as long as I possibly could since I would need to have it done twice in my lifetime.

I went in to see Dr Morgan in January of 2011 for an evaluation. I found out about Dr Morgan through a friend of mine who had a colleague from his work that had the anterior approach performed by Dr Morgan. He reported to me that she had made an incredible recovery. My friend, the previous year, had his hip replaced using the posterior approach and while he had good results, he could not believe the difference in recovery time.

I tracked down Dr Morgan at Swedish where he had just relocated his practice. I had two concerns when I first met with Dr Morgan. First was the advice that I should wait as long as possible to get it done since I would need to have it done twice. He quickly advised me that this should not worry me since it was possible that hip replacements can last as long as 30 years. My second concern was my weight. I was told that anyone as heavy as me was not a good candidate for the anterior approach. Dr Morgan informed me that he did not see this as an issue and assured me that the procedure would work well.

I arrived at the hospital at 5:00 a.m. and was in surgery at 7:00 a.m. I was out by 10:00 a.m. and in my room by early afternoon. By early evening I was out of bed and walked with a walker about 40 yards. I was out of the hospital in 2 days and have not had any problems since then. I have had a total of maybe 1 hour where the pain was uncomfortable. I noticed the pain in my hip was gone the minute I stood up the first time. I rehabilitated well and could have gone back to work in two weeks. Those who have seen me before and after have remarked that it is a miraculous recovery.